Monday, May 24, 2010

HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY PACMAN!

When I turned 30 I was very moody and gloomy about it all. Being an ex-Goth and all meant that I went through all the major life crises earlier, more often and more intensely than everyone else which meant I was going through another major mid-life crisis (my 3rd, or maybe 4th even) around the time I was turning 30. Thankfully I have grown out of all that and couldn't give a flying f**k about getting older any more. That's mainly because I have way more money and a much better sex life than I ever had in my 20s hahaha. The follies of youth.

Anyway lil ol' Pacman also hit the big 3-0 the other day and I wanted to wish him a Very Happy Birthday as Pacman was one of those big life-defining and life-changing moments back in the 80s, a decade which more and more seems like ancient history.

Pacman also holds the distinction of being the only video game I have ever completed. Usually I can't stand video games. I don't have the patience to learn the skills to play a particular one. Most of them seem like a totally  convoluted waste of time to me, either that or a pointless bloodbath of shooting non-existent imaginary monsters for no particularly good reason. I can't stand looking for secret clues and finding hidden objects to complete levels in which I'm usually totally lost after 30 seconds. But for some reason Pacman totally hooked me. I kept munching those Power Pills and chasing those ghosts and got totally lost in the mazes until suddenly - game over: I had completed every single level. I couldn't believe that I'd actually done it: had actually completed a whole computer game, every single bit of it.



Google celebrated also by creating a totally interactive and playable Pacman Google Doodle, which they have thankfully archived at a special web page for the pemanent enjoyment of Pacman players.

No comments: