Thursday, June 17, 2010

CATS & BIRDS

My little tuxedo cat caught his first bird yesterday. I'm pretty sure it was a common myna although I know next to nothing about backyard birds so can't say for sure. Anyway, I was pretty surprised that he'd actually caught it. He's about 18 months old but up until now he's been absolutely bloody hopeless at catching anything, let alone a bird. He doesn't have the patience. Usually, as soon as he sees a bird or some birds he runs right at them, forgetting to stalk them and they have ample opportunity to fly away and laugh at him. Seriously. I hear them go "ha ha ha!" :)

Anyway up until now I've usually left the window open during the day so Maxie the cat can jump in and out. So that meant of course that he dragged the poor bird right into my bedroom. There were feathers all over the place and it was bleeding a little as well. So I put the cat outside and locked him out (poor thing, he was crying utter doom when he found himself locked out) and then something quite surreal happened. I thought it was going to be a nightmare catching the bird and either letting it go or calling the animal ambulance to take care of it, but I simply walked up to the frightened little thing, and he let me pick him, carry him out and it wasn't until I got right to the fence at the edge of our front yard that it flew away out of my hand. I'm so glad it was still okay to fly otherwise I don't know what I would have had to do. But it was quite amazing - like this little wild bird somehow knew I was rescuing him from the cat and going to release him. What do you think? Can wild animals sense these things?

No comments: